Responsible Source - Jewelry
Precious Metals, Gemstones and Jewelry
What is Responsible Source - Jewelry?
This innovative SCS certification assures customers that you use recycled metals and gemstones, and actively avoid conflict metals and materials from questionable or illegal sources. It also demonstrates that you meet fundamental benchmarks of social and environmental accountability, including risk management throughout the supply chain. Workers are treated fairly according to international labor standards, and destructive environmental practices are avoided.
Why Choose SCS?
In response to increasing demand, refiners, manufacturers, fabricators, and jewelers who use platinum, gold, silver, and other precious metals are seeking raw material alternatives that are ethically sourced and have minimal environmental impact. Certified Responsible Source for Precious Metals satisfies this demand. This new third-party certification from SCS Global Services (SCS) builds confidence in products made with Precious metals.
BENEFITS TO YOU AND YOUR CUSTOMERS • Protect your reputation and reinforce your brand • Help your customers meet their goals • Strengthen your relationships with suppliers and partners • Establish and build your environmental leadership position • Benefit workers and avoid risks of labor disruptions • Stand out in a crowded market
- Program Details
- Program Documents
Certification applies to the entire supply chain from refiners and manufacturers to fabricators, jewelers and retailers. Product categories include fine metals, alloyed metals, gemstones, findings and jewelry.
- Recycled Metals, Gemstones and Jewelry: Ensures all materials are derived from recycled sources
- Conflict-Free: Avoids conflict metals, gemstones and materials from questionable and illegal sources
- Labor Protections: Ensures that the workplace meets health and safety criteria, and that workers are treated fairly according to internationally recognized labor standards
- Ethical Sourcing and Supplier Risk Management: Introduces supply chain risk management tools to improve sourcing strategies and prevent destructive environmental practices
- Environmental Impact Assessment: Based on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) practices, SCS establishes basic environmental performance standards, and provides a clear pathway for continuing improvement over time
- RS Gemstones and Gemstone Parcels Standard
SCS provides ongoing program support, including on-going staff assistance, marketing and promotional support, and information about new or revised requirements. You will receive information about the logo approval system and use of SCS trademarks for both on-product and off-product promotions.
Apply for Certification
Complete and submit an SCS Application Form. SCS will scope the project based on information provided in the application and will prepare a proposal for your approval with suggested timeline and quote. Once you approve the proposal, you will sign a Work Order and an account manager will be assigned to guide you through the certification process.
A SCS technical coordinator will help you assemble preliminary data which will be submitted to SCS. SCS will review the product data, corporate documentation, manufacturing process, product formulation, testing, etc., and assess your readiness for an audit. Once sufficient data is collected, an auditor is assigned.
SCS will conduct the certification audit, which will include an on-site inspection of your facility and an upstream supply chain assessment. The auditor will interact with your technical staff to clarify and obtain any additional information that might prove essential to reaching an accurate supportable evaluation.
Draft Assessment Report
The auditor will write a draft assessment report that details the findings of the audit, which will include data analysis, non-conformities, and opportunities for improvement.
Internal peer review
Another qualified SCS auditor will review the report, making any necessary corrections or changes before the report is sent to the client.
You will need to respond to any non-conformities with a corrective action plan. You may also make comments and responses to the information contained in the report and the conclusions drawn by the auditor.
Make Certification Decision
SCS will conduct a final technical review of the assessment report and make the final certification decision. If certification is granted, SCS will issue the certificate and final report to your facility or operation. Once certified, your company is listed in the Green Products Certificate Database and SCS website.
Certification Maintenance and Renewal
Depending on the certification, SCS requires annual audits to maintain your certification and support continual improvement.
Participation in the Certified Responsible Source program:
- Demonstrates your leadership by saying "No" to conflict metals, gemstones and materials from questionable or illegal sources
- Proves your commitment to protecting worker health and safety
- Shows your active efforts to prevent environmental damage
- Enables you to take advantage of improved sourcing strategies based on our supply chain risk management methodology, consistent with ISO 31000
- Allows you to use SCS Kingfisher mark and press releases to promote your industry leadership
- Gives you a pathway for obtaining compliancy of Signet Responsible Sourcing Protocols (SRSP).
- What are the environmental requirements of the standard?
To be certified, companies must first develop and implement an environmental plan, then monitor air emissions, energy use, water use and discharge, land use, impacts on biodiversity, and waste generation and handling. Companies establish baseline performance levels and demonstrate significant improvement over time.
- What are the social requirements of the standard?
Certified companies uphold international standards related to fair, progressive, and safe social business practices. Key areas addressed include involuntary labor, forced labor, child labor, discrimination, transparent terms of employment, grievances, fair compensation practices, reasonable working hours, and environmental health and safety.
- What are the supply chain management requirements of the standard?
Ethical conduct extends beyond the doors of a company's manufacturing site. Certification ensures the integrity of a company's sourcing methods along the entire supply chain. Managing the source of recycled metals helps to eliminate conflict minerals, irresponsible e-waste processors, businesses that obtain material through deceptive or unethical means, money laundering, corruption, and financing of terrorism.
- How was the standard developed?
SCS is a neutral third-party certifier and standards developer, unaffiliated with any industry related businesses or trade associations. SCS consulted a wide array of stakeholders through the standards development and public comment process, including consumers, non-profits, retailers, scientists, manufacturers, and industry experts. We always welcome constructive feedback on our standards, and continuously update and improve them.
- Does SCS provide certification support?
SCS provides ongoing program support, including on-going staff assistance, marketing and promotional support, and information about new or revised requirements. Certified clients will receive information about the logo approval system and use of SCS trademarks for both on-product and off-product promotions.
Ready to start the process? Complete an Application.